Looking for the exercise that will give you that perfect bikini-body
? Well, then you’re in for luck! This article is a compilation of all the Best Exercises for Summer Weight Loss! Try one, try all! You can mash these all up into one giant training session, or even perform one or two during your breaks. Either way, these are the kind of exercises you need to be looking out for to get you that slim and sexy body, perfect for the Summer! So, let’s get to it, shall we?
1. Lunges — Burning Up
Lunges are big nowadays. Seriously — big
, and for good reason too! Much like most exercises, these probably won’t seem like all that much at first. However, once you get into it, you’ll notice a good
burn in your lungs. Lunges are aptly referred to as lower-body exercises. After all, these focus their attention to spots like your core, glutes, hips, quads, hamstrings, inner thigh, etc.
It also mimics activities like walking
— an intense version of it anyways. BUT that just makes it even better
for weight loss. It’s one type of exercise that will surely
get your body burning
Weight Loss Benefits of Lunges:
As mentioned, when it comes to weight loss, lunges are certainly high up on the ladder. Livestrong offers us an easy to understand marker by telling us that 30-minute lunge workouts will be able to help burn 275 calories
(for a 150-pound person.)
If you want to do a proper lunge
, then I advise you to follow the steps down below. A short disclaimer, there are a variety of different lunge exercises that you can do. This is just a standard set that can be done by everyone.
- Make sure that you’re standing with your feet spread hip-width apart (not shoulder width.)
- If you want to make the exercise more vigorous, then add some weights. If not, then you can stick to just holding your hands at your hips.
- Start with your right leg. Take it slow! Make sure that you are in full control.
- Keep your back straight and slowly lower your body until your front and back leg is a clean (or as clean as you can manage) 90-degree angle.
- Hold. Take a breath, keep that position and then slowly bring your right leg back to the starting position.
- Repeat with your left leg.
You can do these for as long as you want but try an average of 10 reps per leg and do 3 sets per day. Pair it with another exercise if you need to. Something that can help you work your upper body too.
2. Push Ups — Toning Up
Suffice to say, we’ve all kind of heard of this one before. It’s used in gym class, military training, and practically every workout guide out there. Almost everyone
knows how to do a Push Up, some even know how to do it properly
. BUT, does anyone actually know what Push Ups can do for your body?
Why is it so recommended? What does it do outside of making your arms and shoulders ache horribly? Well, Pushups are a lot more than just arm exercises. That’s why we added it to the Best Exercises for Summer Weight Loss list. These are just a few of its selling points:
- Tone Your Upper Body: An obvious benefit, is its ability to help strengthen the muscles in the upper body. Specifically, your arms, shoulders, back, and chest.
- Full Body Workout: Believe it or not, pushups aren’t just for your upper-body, it will work your lower body as well. Helping you train all of your muscles all at once.
- Core Workout: Another thing that it helps tighten up is your core. This is the midsection of your body, encompassing your stomach, waist, and pelvis.
Weight Loss Benefits of Push Ups:
As for weight loss, much like any other exercises, these will affect everyone differently. However, Healthline offers us some insight by saying that 5 minutes’ worth of pushups, for an average 180-pound man, can burn up to 34 calories
. That might not seem like a lot for some, but these aren’t just for helping you lose weight, it’s for tightening up your body and helping you get bikini-ready
for the summer.
Push Up Tips:
Everyone is familiar with Push Ups. However, not everyone is able to do them right
. If you want to get the most out of your exercises, then you have to make sure that you are doing them properly. The same goes for push ups! Here’s how.
- Make sure to keep your arms straight and aligned with your shoulders. This is less about the optimum pose for fat burn, but more of keeping your joints from collapsing under you.
- Keep your palms flat against the ground, and your body tensed.
- Your body should be straight — not bent, and your glutes and hips tight.
- Finally, press down.
- Hold for a second, and slowly move back to starting position.
3. Squats — Muscle-Building
We come back to another form of lower-body exercise. Squats, in particular, are very popular with the ladies. It’s perfect for setting up the perfect
definition in your glutes
, curving up your body in all the right
ways. They’re pretty simple to do too, and practically everyone has heard about them. It won’t require any special equipment, and for that, you get the following benefits:
- Leg Exercise: Squats, much like lunges, are mainly leg exercises. It’s very good for toning up one’s lower-body.
- Whole-Body Benefits: Of course, they offer benefits outside of just for your legs. The anabolic activity offers benefits for your entire body. Keeping it tight and ready.
Weight Loss Benefits of Squats:
Livestrong gets very specific by offering us a formula to determine how much calories can be burned based on your weight. That is .096 times your weight in pounds
. This equals to around 14.4 calories burned per minute, for someone who is 150 pounds. As such, you can see why it deserves its spot in our Best Exercises for Summer Weight Loss list!
Not only do you get to burn a lot of weight, but squats can also be really simple
to do. Of course, you can adjust the level of difficulty by adding stuff like weights, but for the most part, here’s all you need to know:
- Stand straight and make sure that your feet are shoulder-width apart (2-3 feet.)
- Place your arms however you want them, whether it’s straight in front of you or folded against your chest.
- Slowly lower yourself to the ground. Bend your knees until you’re as low as you can possibly go — or until your hips are even with the ground.
- Hold your position. Make sure that your toes are extending over your knees!
- Stand up slowly. Take a breath.
4. Jogging — Cardio (Calorie Burn)
Jogging is better of a workout than what most people would assume. It’s very popular as far as exercises go as well. After all, you get maximum
calorie burn and it can be done practically whenever and wherever. It’s a low-cost activity that can get you high-level
results. Here’s one of the benefits that it offers.
- Aerobic Benefit: If you’re not familiar with the term, then you’re missing out! Aerobic exercises are perfect for burning calories. These types of exercises will increase the rate of your heart and keeps your body pumping.
Weight Loss Benefits of Jogging:
Much like the other exercises that we mentioned here, the number of calories that you burn when jogging is dependent on your weight. Ultimately, jogging is one of the best exercises that you can perform to burn
the maximum number of calories. With a short 30-minute jog alone, a 150-pound person can burn up to 240-400 calories. It’s that
Jogging is pretty easy when you think about it. It’s just a faster form of walking, but not fast enough for it to be considered a sprint. So, I won’t be telling you how to run
but the following tips should make you improve the way that you jog.
- Make sure that you do a couple of stretches before diving into a full-on jog. This is important for making sure that your body is loose enough to handle the strain of your weight.
- Try not to think too much about how fast you’re going. Just do what feels right.
- If you can’t maintain a steady jog, then set up walk/jog intervals. Startup with a 1-minute walk, follow it up with a 1 minute and 30-second jog, and another 1-minute walk, etc. Try to build yourself up slowly.
- Inhale… and Exhale. Aerobic exercises demand a ton of oxygen. So, make sure that you breathe through your nose and mouth as you jog.
5. Jumping Rope — Calorie Burner
People of the older generation
will remember — I certainly do, but there was a time when Jumping rope was more fun
than it was exercise. Girls and boys of all ages would be out, hopping around with their jump rope. They might have even indulged in some hops during gym class in school. Either way, jumping rope is a fun
way of burning up the calories in your body!
- Agility: Jumping rope takes ‘light on your feet’ on a whole another Once you get the hang of it, it’s as easy as can be! Keeping you light-footed and ready for action.
- Lower Body Exercise: As can be expected, jumping rope is particularly good for keeping the muscles of your lower-half strong and tight. This includes your calves, quadriceps, and hamstrings.
Weight Loss Benefits of Jumping Rope:
When it comes to burning calories, not many exercises can come close to the power of jump rope. An averagely weighed person can burn up to 480 calories every 30 minutes, and this is just at a moderate speed. Vigorous jumping can burn far more, in fact, according to some studies a 10-minute jump rope session burns about as many calories as an 8-minute-mile run. Yeah, it’s just that powerful!
Jump Rope Tips:
Jump Rope is a simple enough activity, anyone can do it. It’s just a matter of finding your pace and making sure that you don’t overextend yourself. Here are a couple of tips that can help you improve
the way that you jump.
- Try to relax. That might sound counterintuitive, but jumping rope is not meant to be intense. Find a pace and stick to it.
- Limit the movements of your arms, the focus of this exercise should be on the legs. Bending your shoulders and/or elbows might lead to injury.
- Jump with the balls of your feet, this will tighten up your calves and prevent you from injuring your heels.
- If you find that the rope is too large or too small, replace it. You shouldn’t have to hunch over when jumping rope, and it’s easier to time your jumps when the length of the rope matches your height.
- Rest if you have to. Never strain yourself, just find your rhythm and get lost in it.
Conclusion: Best Exercises for Summer Weight Loss
Exercises are never meant to be easy, but they shouldn’t be so hard either. Try out the simpler things first, get yourself interested
and work it into your habits. There’s no rush, not with this. The faster you try to lose weight, the harder on you it will be, and the less fun
Try out one or two of ‘Best Exercises for Summer Weight Loss’ that we recommended. You don’t have to dedicate a full hour to exercise. Maybe stick to one or two at first, perhaps only for 5 minutes or 10 minutes. Find some time in the morning for a quick jog, have a go at the jump rope in your backyard in the afternoon, maybe even stretch out and work on some Push Ups/squats/lunges in your living room.
Whatever it is that you end up trying, make a routine out of it. Perhaps even add bits and pieces as you go. Work yourself up until you’re ready for the Summer heat!